Generation Opportunity Expands Reach Across Florida, Issues Online Training Guides to Organize Young Voters
WASHINGTON, Jan. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Generation Opportunity – a rapidly growing organization with over two million Facebook fans that is mobilizing young adults across the nation through a strategy based on social media and ground operations – has conducted its latest grassroots tour through Florida to mobilize the Sunshine State‘s Millennials. This marks Generation Opportunity’s third trip to Florida in less than a year. Previous trips included visits to areas around Tampa, Coral Gables, and Miami to sign-up young people concerned about national issues impacting them.
“Young adults in Florida shared their views with us openly. They, like young people we have heard from in so many places across this country, are deeply concerned with the overall lack of jobs and limited economic opportunity. They’re tired of having their lives put on hold and are eager for solutions that can positively change the quality of their daily lives,” said Paul T. Conway, President of Generation Opportunity and a former Chief of Staff of the United States Department of Labor. “Young Floridians are impatient and extremely frustrated with Washington, which they view as completely disconnected from and out of touch with reality. Simply put, they are eager for meaningful career opportunities and have confidence that they could have an impact if given the chance. There is no question that this frustration is resulting in grassroots action, these folks are going to make their voices heard in a substantial way.”
Field staff from Generation Opportunity conducted a tour of college campuses in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas, which included stops at the University of Miami, Florida International University, Nova Southeastern University, and Broward College. In addition, the grassroots team engaged young people at a Miami Heat game held at the American Airlines Arena, at the ING Miami Marathon, and at the Homestead Championship Rodeo and parade in Homestead, Florida.
In 2011, Generation Opportunity joined nearly 1,500 Hispanic business leaders in Miami, Florida, as a participant in the 32nd Annual U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC) National Convention and Business Expo, where young people cited lack of jobs, the mounting national debt, and the need for meaningful education reform as top concerns. The grassroots team received clear feedback during this trip, in which Florida’s Millennials communicated identical concerns and a sense of urgency about the need for solutions.
Generation Opportunity recently announced that it has added to its popular online “Grassroots Training Guide Series” with the release of three brand new editions, and has also expanded the accessibility of its online training by making available the entire training series in Spanish. The grassroots team found a strong level of interest in these and other Generation Opportunity online resources while on the ground in Florida – resources that allow the state’s young adults to learn more about voter registration, obtain information on voting deadlines, learn questions to ask elected officials, join Generation Opportunity’s rapidly expanding Facebook community of over two million fans, share their stories and relate how unemployment and the lack of jobs are impacting them, organize a local event, research policy issues, and get details about potential solutions.
Generation Opportunity commissioned a poll with the polling company, inc./WomanTrend (April 16 – 22, 2011, +/- 4% margin of error) and select highlighted results for all young Americans ages 18-29 appear below:
Millennials: Dreams Delayed by the Poor Economy
- 77% of respondents (18-29) are delaying major life changes due to economic restraints.
- 44% delay buying a home;
- 28% delay saving for retirement;
- 27% delay paying off student loans or other debt;
- 27% delay going back to school/getting more education or training;
- 26% delay changing jobs/cities;
- 23% delay starting a family;
- 18% delay getting married.
Millennials: Washington is Out of Touch
- Only 31% of those 18-29 approve of Obama’s handling of youth unemployment.
- 69% say political leaders do NOT reflect the interests of young Americans.
- 56% believe the wrong leadership is in Washington and 61% will vote on a candidate’s record, not charisma.
- 57% said they will learn more about the policy positions of Presidential candidates in the 2012 election than they did in 2008.
ABOUT GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
Generation Opportunity is a non-profit, non-partisan 501 (c)(4) organization that seeks to engage everyone from young adults, to early career professionals, college students, young mothers and fathers, construction workers, current service men and women, veterans, entrepreneurs and all Americans who find themselves dissatisfied with the status quo and willing to create a better tomorrow.
Generation Opportunity operates on a strategy that combines advanced social media tactics with proven field tactics to reach Americans 18-29. The organization’s social media platforms – “Being American” on Facebook and “The Constitution” on Facebook – have amassed a total fan base of more than 2 million. Both pages post links to relevant articles and reports from sources ranging from the federal General Accountability Office (GAO), to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Brookings Institution, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and The Heritage Foundation.
CONTACT: Matthew Faraci 202-997-1636EMAIL
SOURCE Generation Opportunity
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/30/4225704/grassroots-activists-target-floridas.html#storylink=cpy
- Poor Economy Remains Top Concern as Grassroots Organizers Enlist Florida’s Young Adults (faithinspires.wordpress.com)
- New Online Grassroots Training Guides Help Young Americans Make Their Voices Heard (faithinspires.wordpress.com)
- Shocking 13% of Unemployed are Young Vets (thesalvationtimes.wordpress.com)
- Generation Opportunity Meets Top Women Leaders from Business, Non-Profit, and Government Sectors at Major Women’s Conference (prnewswire.com)
- Newly Released Poll Result: Young Americans Say Facebook and Text Messages are Tools That Make Millennials More Likely to Vote (theriveropens.wordpress.com)
- Generation Opportunity Announces GenerationOpportunity.org – New Grassroots Website Offers Young Americans Cutting Edge Tools to Organize and Take Action (prnewswire.com)
- Florida GOP Official Slams ‘Devastating’ Alabama And Arizona Immigration Laws (thinkprogress.org)
- Florida asks residents to share a little sunshine with others (travelnews.britishairways.com)